Saturday, August 1, 2009

Observe. Think. Pray. Appreciate. Learn. Repeat.

I am extremely grateful for all the training that I went through before coming to Jos, but nothing can fully prepare you. I guess you just have to experience something to know what it is like, and then somehow process it even when you don't fully understand everything. Pretty clear, right?

I've been in Nigeria for almost a week now. I'm slowly adjusting to the crazy traffic, the different noises and smells, a new language, a new school, new friends...the list goes on.

The traveling here was long and for lack of a better word, interesting. The Lord was gracious and everything was smooth at the airport. My friend Kim and I spent the night in Abuja at the Baptist guesthouse since we arrived at night. We left the next morning for Jos. The best way that I can describe the traffic in Nigeria is that it is like I am in a video game. It's amazing how there seem to be no rules, but people follow rather loosely some sort of rules. I think I'll wait on the purchase of a car...and try to learn those rules :)

I live in an apartment complex with other missionaries. It's great to have a support group around. There are quiet a few other missionaries in Jos, which is nice. I've also met some great people that work at Hillcrest.

I spent the morning in my classroom. I have a pretty good setup. I'm teaching third grade for a year in place of a missionary that is on home assignment. She has left the classroom in great shape for me. However, after teaching in the states for three years, I realize what a great amount of resources we are given back home. It's kind of hard to process. The question comes to mind, why do we have so much when others have so little? How am I using what the Lord has blessed me with the bless others? How can I make a difference here? I pray that the Lord would provide guidance and opportunities to proclaim His name. It's different here. People are really watching you to see if you practice what you preach. The white skin has a little to do with that. :)

I'll write more later. I need your prayers and want to know how I can be praying for you. Love in Christ

5 comments:

  1. praying for you!!! can you set this up where we can subscribe to the blog so we can be emailed when it is updated???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love you Heather!!
    (((Hugs))) We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy the updates always heater...praising the Lord for you and your surrender to Him there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,
    My daughter Brittany works with Holly so she has put you on our prayer list. It is good news to read your blog and newsletter. God will greatly bless you where he has placed you. Claim this as your promised land for this season. You are in our continued prayers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl- I read your blogs with a southern accent =0) So happy you are my neighbor. Love you- See you in the morning for church- too bad that new dress isn't made yet =0)

    ReplyDelete