Monday, August 24, 2009

I took the scenic route

So I already feel behind in writing on here. I had an interesting and funny experience on my very first day of school. I think I mentioned the crazy traffic here. There are no stop lights or stop signs. Sometimes the traffic people are at the post, sometimes they aren't. So I was excited and anxious for the first day of school. I left in plenty of time because I was taking a taxi and I wanted to get to school extra early so I could be ready to greet me students. It didn't take long to get a taxi, and when I told the driver Hillcrest School, he nodded. To me this meant that this would be the place where he would drop me off. Logical. After we drove past Hillcrest, I began to wonder what just happened and what should I do. There were two other people in the taxi, so I thought that maybe he was taking one or both of them up the road, and then would turn around. I wasn't sure of all the taxi rules yet, so I decided to wait patiently. After about 15 minutes of driving away from Hillcrest I figured I should ask the driver if he would be turning around sometime soon. He nodded. By this point it's about 7:25 and school starts at 8:00. When he finally does turn around, he periodically pulls over to try to pick up new fares. It's now 7:35. I told him that if he would keep going to Hillcrest, I would pay extra. When we pull up to Hillcrest at approximately 7:55, I remind him to pull over, pull out N1,000 (1,000 naira) get out of the car and give it to him, and rush to my classroom. Now, if you are unfamiliar with how much things cost in Nigeria, I'll tell you. A taxi ride from my apartment to Hillcrest is N30. So I gave him a N970 tip. I'm not sure why I did this, but I was so ready to get to the school, I didn't give it much thought. My more seasoned missionary friends thought it was crazy that I paid so much. But they also enjoyed the story. So, two lessons learned before the first day of school. You are supposed to tell the taxi driver when to pull over. Logical. And, living in Nigeria is completely unpredictable. FYI N1,000 is $6. Not a bad price for a good story. You may ask why didn't the taxi driver say something about getting off at Hillcrest. I think there are two possible answers to that. 1. Maybe he didn't understand me. (Quiet possible) 2. Nigerians do not like conflict. He might not have wanted to ask me or embarrass me. Who knows. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious, Heathie!! What a funny story...I could just picture you freaking out in your head goin, "Uhh...WHERE is he taking me?? I need to get to class. NOW!" Ohh I love & miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like something I'd do! I hate conflict too and don't want to appear that I don't understand something so I probably would've not spoken up but would've been freaking out in my head thinking this dude was going to kidnap me! My course of action probably would've been to get out the next time he stopped and started walking back towards the school then gotten a different taxi. Glad you made it there safely!

    ReplyDelete