Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Please Pray for Jos

It's hard to know what to write. I can't tell you what exactly is happening in Jos, because I don't know. For the third day in a row, we have been restricted to our compounds. On Sunday, some violence broke in the city. There are many rumors as to what started it, but we don't know for sure. There is a large population of Muslims and Christians that coexist in the city of Jos. It seems that when given the opportunity, the tension that is between them erupts into violence. News articles are saying that over 200 people have been killed. I think what hits home the most, is that some of the kids in the care centers around the city are close to some of the violence. My friends that live on my compound work closely with these kids. Please pray for peace to return to the city of Jos. I will give you more details when I know more. Please pray that the Christians here would live out their faith.
As for me, I feel safe. We are all together on our compound. We are sharing meals and spending time together. I appreciate your prayers for the city of Jos!
Here is an article from the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/20/AR2010012000542.html

2 comments:

  1. Heather! Thank you for the update and article. I will certainly be praying for you and your city.

    Love you,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather - I will definitely be lifting you in my prayers, as well as your colleagues and students. Please keep us posted.
    Love,
    Martha Bentley

    ReplyDelete