Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas!!

Christmas in Nigeria was a lot different from what I am used to-in that despite no cold weather, only a few decorations, and missing my friends and family-it was a memorable experience. I live in an apartment complex with other missionaries who work with orphans here in Jos. They thought that it would be cool to spend the week with the kids. The week started with the 40 boys and 40 girls doing a Nativity play in the village.
The next day, we had a morning of games planned for the boys. Dustin and I thought it would be fun to create a boot camp. Dustin was able to pull off the military role a little better than I was. It was a lot of fun. I think the boys really enjoyed it.

Dustin and I...aka Major Pain and GI Jane


wheelbarrow race


waiting in line for chin chin - reward for finishing boot camp



Later that night, we took all 40 boys to my friend Emma-Louise's house. We ate dinner, watched a movie and they all piled in the living room.

The next day we did some fun activities with them before they headed back to Gyero.

making paper chains with the boys
Karis helping some of the boys make Christmas cookies.
40 boys + 2 SUVs = good picturescactus Christmas treeHanging out on Christmas day! One of the families here had us all over. It was so nice to just chill out.

Christmas was different this year. But it was still celebrated for the same reason. I'm so thankful that Jesus Christ came into this world to give us a hope and life. May you be blessed in the new year!








4 comments:

  1. what a great way to spend the day celebrating the Lord's birth! i'm sure the kiddos enjoyed all the fun activities and adventures. love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures make me so happy. I sure do miss you but am overwhelmed with gratitude for your sweet servant heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are fantastic! We are praying for your people and you--what a disaster!
    I am collecting photos for Briarwood Conference. Would you please send the great photos of your students so we can display them in our Africa Conference room. Thanks, Faye Kelso

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an awesome way to spend Christmas! I teared up a bit when I looked at them.

    ReplyDelete